[FFmpeg-devel] Process for adding new fields to various contexts

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Tue Jan 27 23:45:53 CET 2009

On date Tuesday 2009-01-27 20:14:00 +0100, Ivan Schreter encoded:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to fix something in H.264 decoder, but for that I need to
> communicate additional information from parser in libavcodec to
> libavformat (one flag and one count), for instance as variable in
> AVCodecParserContext. I don't want to break binary compatibility, though.
>
> What is the proper way to do this (in particular and in general)? I
> didn't find any howto (maybe would be interesting to put it online).

Add the field just at the end of the struct, this way you're not going
to change the offsets of all the other fields, this way you save ABI
compatibility.

> Thanks & regards,

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Foolish & Fierce Mournful Programmable Elastic Geek