[FFmpeg-devel] Popular codecs on the web not supported by FFmpeg

compn tempn
Wed Jan 28 20:16:31 CET 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:06:13 -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
>Benjamin Larsson wrote:
>> Hi, the following list is from Picsearch and lists codecs that FFmpeg
>> isn't supporting. There are duplicates and because of the rapid
>> development some codecs are already supported, the first 5 in the list
>> are by margin the most popular. If anyone wants to try and add support
>> reply which fourcc's and I'll try to get links to sample files.
>
>We should scrub the list for the easy ones. I wager that rgbb, Motion
>JPEG OpenDML, Animation JPEG OpenDML, JPEG, jpeg, YVU9, FFDS, Component
>Video, WRAW, Y41P. In fact, I think that compn has already hooked up a
>number of these to the MPEG-4 video decoder.
>
>I have been slowly working through the Picsearch sample list, studying
>the samples, entering new pages into the Wiki, and organizing samples on
>mphq. Note that not all of those FourCCs are strictly valid. I think
>that 'dslv' falls more into a 'meta' category of QuickTime codecs. Come
>to think of it, 'jpeg' (lowercase) is probably the same (a still frame
>in front of a movie trailer's main SVQ3 video track, for example; I used
>to see this a lot).

you can see dashcloud and my progress on the lists here:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=User:Compn
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=User:Dashcloud

added a lot of the codecs to mplayer and ffmpeg already.
kostya already RE'd one. a decoder would make a good GSoC qualification
task.
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Auravision

mike downloaded all of the samples i think. lists here:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~compn/uncommon_audio_codecs.txt
http://home.roadrunner.com/~compn/uncommon_video_codecs_final.txt
http://home.roadrunner.com/~compn/ffmpeg_crashfiles.txt

i'm also working on a list of video for windows codecs. each fourcc
needs a wiki entry:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Category_talk:Video_FourCCs

-compn