[FFmpeg-devel] WORDS_BIGENDIAN used in installed header avutil.h

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Jan 29 13:41:42 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:21:52PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 03:16:46PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> >
> > Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > Houston, we have a problem.  The installed header avutil.h uses
> > > WORDS_BIGENDIAN, which is #defined in config.h, which is not installed...
> > >

> > first, pix_fmt stuff should be moved to another header.
> >
> > second, Im pretty sure, these redefines for RGBA/BGRA/32 whatever can be
> > avoided if dealt within libswscale when choosing func pointer.
>
> they are part of the public API and they are intentionally part of it.
> They are usefull and used, for example in codecs.
>
> IMHO we shouldnt be butchering the API

Ummm, clearly only half of it is part of the API, since the
'#ifdef WORDS_BIGENDIAN' amounts to a '#if 0'...

So the goal of the API - different semantics on big-endian systems - is
not achieved.

Diego