[FFmpeg-devel] WORDS_BIGENDIAN used in installed header avutil.h

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 29 23:58:54 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:36:53PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
[...]
> >> considering both values since the
> >> goal is to deprecate all _1 (horrible names)
> >
> > You are free to suggest better names for the _1 cases, we can surely
> > rename them in the next major bump
>
> The best names are RGBA8888, BGRA8888, ARGB8888, ABGR8888, IMHO.
> Now RGBA, BGRA, ARGB, ABGR are ok too.
>
> And this is what should be as external API, there is _no_ sense if
> hacking pixfmt externally.
>
> If libswscale wants to optimize routines based on its internal
> implementation (using uint64_t or uint32_t) to deal with data, it's
> _its_ problem, not users which should see what is _obvious_.

i dont mind if we move the byte based RGBA, ... into the enum and
move the RGB32 stuff to the #defines with the next major bump
(it would break ABI not API)
assuming someone posts a patch ...

iam not in favor of droping the native 32bit word formats nor do i agree
that this is just sws problem, it really is not.
a grep in mplayer confirms this also, the 32bit word formats are used
the byte based formats are not.

also what is your oppinion on the 15/16bit formats, they dont have any
sane byte based representation.

In fact, the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out
of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford
settlements. -- The RIAA