[FFmpeg-devel] release

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Fri Jan 30 16:43:27 CET 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Benjamin Larsson <banan at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> My understanding is that the biggest complaint is that we don't have 'a'
> point release tar ball. Ie a common base to use. But I could be wrong.

My understanding is that "release" refers to one way of achieving a
smaller distance between the "core" ffmpeg developers and the users of
applications like Totem. right now, if Totem crashes with freshrpms
gst-ffmpeg installed and the gdb sent to Fedora contains a crash in
some acceleration inside ffmpeg, the bug will go nowhere.

What should be achieved is:
- ffmpeg-dev gets notified of bug, gets fixed by upstream or fedora
dev reporting it
- bug gets fixed, fix pushed back to fedora (new version)
- new version released
- everybody is happy and drinks beers together at fosdem

Here's what happens today:
- bug goes nowhere
- fedora complains about ffmpeg
- ffmpeg complains about fedora
- no happy beers at fosdem

I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make. Having fedora use an
official release of ffmpeg is commonly the way to get upstream to
accept bugs from distros, so that fedora can keep their code in line
with official releases from upstream. For ffmpeg that doesn't work,
and that's in part because there's no release. However, a release
_alone_ is not sufficient to have happy beers at fosdem. The rest also
needs to be done.

Ronald