[FFmpeg-devel] TrueHD track in EVO not playable/testable with ffplay

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jul 10 03:28:46 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:11:09PM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Ramiro Polla wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't this break API? Programs currently check avctx->channels to
> > know how much data there is. If we make them check
> > avctx->output_channels we'd need to bump major (and break something
> > else so people know they need to update and we hope they stumble upon
> > a place that explains this change too).

> >> This is different.  Unless I am mistaken, coded_width and coded_height
> >> indicate the encoded width/height of a video including any padding
> >> (e.g. mod-16) required by the codec but never meant to be displayed.
> >>
> >> In the case at hand, we have a number of audio channels, all of which
> >> are meaningful, but which may be downmixed before output.
> >
> > By looking at the doxy in avcodec.h I don't think coded_ is the best too.
> >
> > I attached a patch to see if this is what you mean by adding a new
> > field (I named it coded_channels like michael suggested but I don't
> > really like the name as I pointed out).
> >
> > Now would this mean that all decoders should be changed to
> > "avctx->coded_channels = avctx->channels = <number of channels>"? Or
> > only the decoders that support downmixing (and the documentation
> > should be updated to say this field only has meaning if it's != 0)?
>
> This would affect demuxers as well if they rely on a parser.
> av_find_stream_info() expects the parser to set avctx->channels or else
> it will start trying to decode frames.

yes av_find_stream_info() would also need to be fixed.

It really seems theres no way to avoid 2 channel fields, as "in bitstream"
and "decoder output" can differ, whats left is bikeshed about the naming ;)

GMX, the mailprovider that uses RBL lists to reject mails from your friends
running their own mailserver at home. The mailprovider that obscures the
origin of mails (mis)identified as viruses. The mailprovider that improves
security my disallowing more secure forms of authentication.