[FFmpeg-devel] TrueHD track in EVO not playable/testable with ffplay

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Fri Jul 10 22:26:02 CEST 2009

On 07/10/2009 11:47 AM, Ramiro Polla wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Baptiste
> Coudurier<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Wouldn't this break API? Programs currently check avctx->channels
>>> to know how much data there is. If we make them check
>>> avctx->output_channels we'd need to bump major (and break
>>> something else so people know they need to update and we hope
>>> they stumble upon a place that explains this change too).
>> It breaks the API anyway since libavformat sets ->channels and in
>> this case must not set it. libavformat is libavcodec user too :)
>>
>> IMHO ->channels is more obvious to people and avoids changing
>> demuxer and muxer code.
>>
>> Also there was no guarantee that ->channels was set to
>> request_channels, MLP is a proof.
>>
>> ->output_channels is clear and obvious IMHO.

>>> By looking at the doxy in avcodec.h I don't think coded_ is the
>>> best too.
>>>
>>> I attached a patch to see if this is what you mean by adding a
>>> new field (I named it coded_channels like michael suggested but I
>>> don't really like the name as I pointed out).
>>>
>>> Now would this mean that all decoders should be changed to
>>> "avctx->coded_channels = avctx->channels =<number of channels>"?
>>> Or only the decoders that support downmixing
>> Decoders supporting downmixing should set output_channels to what
>> is output.
>
> Let me see if I understood what you mean. In this case,
> avctx->channels should be set to 6 in the parser, and
> output_channels set to the downmixed numbed of channels in the
> decoder only if(request_channels),

Yes.

> otherwise it's left as 0. av_find_stream_info() should read frames
> while(!channels || (request_channels&& !output_channels)).

I think av_find_stream_info must stop as soon as 'channels' is found.

'request_channels' and 'output_channels' is a decoding feature, not info
nor parsing.

> Then users are expected to always use output_channels if they set
> request_channels, and channels otherwise. Or we could make
> av_find_stream_info() always set output_channels at the end, and we
> expect users to always use output_channels from now on.

I don't av_find_stream_info should mess with ->output_channels since it
is a decoding feature.

I don't mind your idea, that is if user sets ->request_channels then
->output_channels must be set to what is output. If ->request_channels
is not set then ->output_channels is not set and is implicitly
->channels if I understand correctly.

Or decoder must always set output_channels.