[FFmpeg-devel] TrueHD track in EVO not playable/testable with ffplay

Justin Ruggles justin.ruggles
Mon Jul 13 23:02:13 CEST 2009

Ramiro Polla wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Baptiste
> Coudurier<baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/10/2009 11:47 AM, Ramiro Polla wrote:

>>> Let me see if I understood what you mean. In this case,
>>> avctx->channels should be set to 6 in the parser, and
>>> output_channels set to the downmixed numbed of channels in the
>>> decoder only if(request_channels),
>> Yes.
>>
>>> otherwise it's left as 0. av_find_stream_info() should read frames
>>> while(!channels || (request_channels&& !output_channels)).
>> I think av_find_stream_info must stop as soon as 'channels' is found.
>>
>> 'request_channels' and 'output_channels' is a decoding feature, not info
>> nor parsing.
>
> Where can we guarantee to the user that his request_channels has been
> validated? In ffplay.c we have:
> av_find_stream_info()
> set request_channels
> avcodec_find_decoder()
> avcodec_open()
> --- channels is considered to be final.
>
> So after avcodec_open() it should have taken request_channels into
> account, but avcodec_open() doesn't decode frames, and in mlp's case
> av_find_stream_info() didn't find the proper number of channels.
>
> Currently the files that use request_channels are:
> aac_ac3_parser.c - sets channels on the parser
> ac3dec.c - sets channels on _init()
> dca.c - sets channels on first decode_frame()
> libfaad.c - sets channels on _init()
>
> In dca.c, channels is not set from av_find_stream_info(), so frames
> are decoded and channels is set on the first frame. In mlp's case
> channels is set to some value from the parser that doesn't take
> request_channels into account.
>
> How about adding av_request_channels() so the user can be sure
> request_channels has been validated? (and if he calls that function,
> he should always use avctx->output_channels).

If you decide on using channels + request_channels + output_channels,
here is what I think should happen.

demuxer/parser : set channels to the number of source channels,
completely ignoring request_channels.

decoder : during init(), set channels to the number of source channels,
set output_channels to what it will output, trying if it can to honor
request_channels.

The user can see if output_channels matches request_channels after
decoder init.

-Justin