[FFmpeg-devel] Hall of Shame

Fernando Cassia fcassia
Thu Jul 16 12:35:32 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Frank Barchard<fbarchard at google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Frank Barchard<fbarchard at google.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Piracy??. If I see a conference video or political speech on Youtube,
>> download the video, then use FFMPEG to rip the audio and save it as
>> mp3, where is the piracy?.
>>

> Is that what happens?

And how do you know? Telephathy? Heard of Fair Use? Remixing? Why do
you assume that the soundtrack is copyrighted? Heard of Creative
Commons?.

1961 Eisenhower Military Industrial Complex speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrGKwkmxAU

Military Industrial Complex, remix song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLV32IkDPDc

> You and I can contrive use cases. Real people dont rip political speeches.
> Even that is potential copyright infringement

Ridiculous.

A knife is a potential weapon. Should we ban knifes from sale? Should
the software industry turn into pre-emptive banning?
CD Audio ripping is a potential pirate's tool. Why is it included with
Windows Media Player? Why are there several GPL audio rippers?
Shouldn't we ban those too?

FC