[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: [foms] Paper submissions to LCA

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Thu Jul 16 21:25:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Mike Melanson<mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> Frank Barchard wrote:
>>
>> I don't feel qualified to speak for ffmpeg, but 2 potential topics
>> would be Chrome, and subtitles:
>>
>> 1. The Chrome topic, because Chrome/Chromium use ffmpeg to implement
>> html5 video tag. ?We could talk about whats great, and not so great,
>> about using ffmpeg, which would hopefully lead to improvements.
>
> That's easy enough: The H.264 decoder is great; the Theora decoder sucks. :)

The H.264 decoder isn't great because CoreAVC is a crapton faster,
primarily due to better architecture, despite the fact that ffmpeg's
assembly is significantly superior.

The Theora decoder, well, nobody gives a crap about Theora anyways.
And the speed doesn't matter, since the Firefox developers seem to
have intentionally sabotaged Theora's decoding speed in 3.5.

Dark Shikari