[FFmpeg-devel] license violator seeking help to continue his behavior

Cory Nelson phrosty
Sat Jul 25 04:51:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Diego Biurrun<diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:58:56AM +0100, Patrice Bensoussan wrote:
>>
>> On 25 Jun 2009, at 00:24, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>
>> >But this is not the important thing here. ?The important thing here is
>> >that you are blatantly violating our license in many ways with your
>> >easywma and easywmv shareware programs:
>> >
>> >http://www.easywma.com/
>> >http://www.easywma.com/wmv/
>> >
>> >And now you have the cheek to come here to get help preparing your
>> >next release? ?This is galling and the fact that you have some
>> >patches in FFmpeg makes it doubly disappointing.
>>
>> Can you please elaborate on how I am violating the license? I would be
>> happy to fix any issue related to this?
>
> I see you have never read the license. ?No surpises there.
>
> Would you sign a work contract without reading it? ?Buy a house and not
> read the contract? ?Patrice, we two need to do more business together,
> I'm always on the lookout for gullible fools to show them my bridge
> collection.
>
> You are trying to do business based on GPL software. ?The time for naive
> assumptions is through. ?So far you are doing everything wrong, it's
> time for you need to get to know the facts. ?Go read the license, pay
> special attention to ?3.
>
> Diego

Are you a lawyer?  Because this is interesting to me.

I always thought the "will automatically terminate your rights under
this License" line in the GPL was meant specifically for that instance
of the violation -- and not as a permanent hold that lets the licensor
apply new demands outside of the GPL before the licensee ever gets to
distribute it again.  I distribute some of my own code under the GPL
and this is useful knowledge.

--
Cory Nelson
http://int64.org