[FFmpeg-devel] Fwd: Open source vs Closed source... What makes Open Source work.

viwe lolwane ghostnet2000
Tue Jul 28 11:22:15 CEST 2009

Hi everyone.
Just have a general question on open source, I would like to know what is
the reason behind
the success of open source development, looking at the success of products
like linux, kde
this are world class software products..  when you look at the development
process of open
source I can deduce that documentation is rare, the developers operate on
environments like
mailing list, forums, they rarely meet.

How reliable are open source softwares compared  to closed source softwares,
developed
by organizations like Microsoft, and i would also like to compare the
development process
used by both. is it fair to say that open source software must be full of
bugs and errors compared
to closed source because it is designed by volunteers,  but again it has
been successful. is the future
of development an open source development process or are we doomed to fail?

What is really good about Open Source, and what are the disadvantages.

--
viwe lolwane.
S A Square Kilometer Array Telescope

cell +2782 367 9417