[FFmpeg-devel] Question about patch for copying fixes from x264 to libavcodec

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 30 22:51:34 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 06:53:49AM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Jason
> Garrett-Glaser<darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:26 AM, John
> > Adcock<dscaler.johnad at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> I've been tracking down some issues with libavcodec using the yasm
> >> optimized code on Win64 and just as I was about to prepare a patch I
> >> rather belatedly checked the latest x264 code and found similar fixes
> >> applied there. ? Given that most of the changes are to similar code
> >> what is the preferred approach to creating a patch on this code.
> >> Should I:
> >> b) Copy across the most recent code from x264 as close to verbatim as possible
> >
> > Update (mirror) x86inc.asm/x86util.asm and port any code-specific
> > WIN64 fixes from the relevant asm files.
> >
> > Dark Shikari
> >

> Oh, also note that in general the x264 asm files in ffmpeg are
> near-exact mirrors of the x264 ones; you basically have to:
>
> a) note the differences between the two at the time that said asm
> files were committed (they are generally very minor, deblock might be
> outright identical except for some functions removed).
> b) copy over the latest from x264
> c) re-apply said differences.

it might make sense to simply commit these diffs
(like svn add x264-ffmpeg.diff)
so this process is simlpified in the future

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato