[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri Jun 5 15:21:23 CEST 2009

Colin McQuillan wrote:
> 2009/6/5 Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com>:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> I just committed the OpenCORE support as replacement.  I will remove
>>> libamr support after the weekend.
>> This may disrupt Colin's AMR-NB decoder work for SoC as he's comparing the
>> FFmpeg implementation against the reference decoder at the moment. Please
>> wait until I've conferred with him as to whether removal of libamr support
>> from trunk will significantly impact on his efforts. I know he has spent
>> some time adding code to the reference 'library' to be able to conduct the
>> comparisons.
>>
>> I don't think it will be a problem though because he can always develop
>> against an older version of trunk while ironing out remaining bugs.
>
> The change is fine by me; I'm not using the ffmpeg libamr support.

OK, then I guess the only issue is a feature regression in that
libopencore-amrwb doesn't do encoding. As Diego points out, there's
nothing stopping people from using FFmpeg 0.5 or a version of svn from
before the libamr reference wrapper gets removed, but I'm not really
fond of feature regressions. Is there any good reason not to keep the
libamr-wb reference encoder wrapper?

Regards,
Rob