[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] VB decoder get_buffer usage

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jun 5 17:31:18 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 01:59:02AM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> It seems VB decoder uses get_buffer but in decode_init.
> It seems same buffer is returned all frames.

the VB decoder should be changed, i dont see any technical sense in
reusing the buffer like that, but maybe i miss something

> I guess this method is allowed, though what kind of FF_BUFFER_TYPE_
> should be set in this case ?

at least it is not sane ...
reget_buffer() can be used to get the same data again but that too has
to be called per frame and is not guranteed to return the same buffer in
terms of its address

> Should decoders using av_mallocz be ported to use get_buffer ?

when possible, yes

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates