[FFmpeg-devel] Hacks on FATE

Måns Rullgård mans
Thu Jun 18 12:29:38 CEST 2009

Michael Kostylev <michael.kostylev at gmail.com> writes:

> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
>> x86_32 DOS: --extra-cflags='-U__STRICT_ANSI__ -fno-builtin' --disable-network
>>   What breaks without -fno-builtin?
>
> The c99 math function detection doesn't work correctly - false positives
> happen.

Can you please post the relevant parts of config.err without this flag?

>>   Why is --disable-network needed?
>
> Network is enabled by default but DOS lacks its own network stack.
> There is an alternative: add --extra-cflags=-I/some/non-standard/path
> (e.g. /usr/i386-pc-msdosdjgpp/include/watt32) to make the network headers
> visible.

So we're missing a header check?

>> x86_32 FreeBSD: --extra-cflags=-D__BSD_VISIBLE
>> x86_32 NetBSD:  --extra-cflags=-D_NETBSD_SOURCE
>>   These are presumably required to work around the broken system
>>   headers (bktr.h) on these systems.
>
> bktr.h is ok. /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:
> and /usr/include/sys/featuretest.h:
> probably aren't.

It's bktr.h that's causing the problems for us by using u_int and
similar BSD typedefs.  The usual way to handle such situations is to
always typedef __-prefixed versions of all non-standard types and use
these in system headers.  This namespace is reserved for the system
for precisely this reason.

>> x86_32 OpenBSD: cavsdsp_mmx-fPIC-friendly.diff; CFLAGS='-fPIC -DPIC'
>>   Does OpenBSD require PIC even for static builds?
>
> Excluding completely -static.

Why is this?  It makes no sense.  Does the dynamic linker not support
text relocations at all?

>>  If so, this should be handled in configure.

I'll see about fixing the PIC handling in configure.

>   And what's in the patch?
>
> "r"((x86_reg)dstStride) -> "rm"((x86_reg)dstStride)

This looks wrong.

>> x86_32 OpenSolaris: sed -i -e 's/^\(SHFLAGS\)=\(.*\)/\1=-mimpure-text \2/' config.mak
>>   The -mimpure-text option allows non-PIC in shared libs.  This should
>>   be set in configure.
>
> Btw, the Sun linker still complains about relocations even when objects are built with
> -fPIC:
> gcc -shared -Wl,-h,libavcodec.so.52 ...
> Text relocation remains                         referenced
>     against symbol                  offset      in file
> .rodata (section)                   0x2fd0      libavcodec/x86/dsputil_mmx.o
> .rodata (section)                   0x9         libavcodec/x86/idct_sse2_xvid.o
> [skip ~4300 lines]
> ff_pw_9                             0x3b0       libavcodec/x86/vc1dsp_mmx.o
> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I take it this is without -mimpure-text, correct?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com