[FFmpeg-devel] Alternate audio bit depth support

Brian Crowell brian
Mon Jun 22 21:28:36 CEST 2009

Hello. Just recently became a libavcodec/libavformat user. I see
there's been discussions about adding support for audio bit depths
other than 16 in the API, and from what I read in the code, that
hasn't happened yet.

  http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Ffmpeg_audio_api

First: Has anyone been working on this?

Second: If nobody's working on it, I'd be willing to put some time
into it. I like the proposal of making it like the video API: the
codec just exposes a "native" format, where native is the format of
the codec's internal buffer. (Example: AC3 uses float internally.)

Comments? Suggestions? Links to previous discussions or partial implementations?

--Brian