[FFmpeg-devel] Seeking to out-of-bounds timestamps

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jun 24 22:49:10 CEST 2009

ssOn Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 03:05:02PM -0000, Wolfram Gloger wrote:
> > Does everyone agree with this?
> >
> > av_gen_search() does _not_ implement these restrictions
> > currently.
>
> Since nobody disagreed so far, here is a patch implementing
> this for av_gen_search().  Seek regression data will change
> of course, but I have a followup patch for nutdec.c (also
> appended) which is IMHO needed also -- if that is accepted
> I will send the patch for seek.regression.ref.
>
> Another strong argument for accepting this patch should be
> the fact that av_index_search_timestamp() already implements
> the "out-of-bounds timestamp -> return -1" semantics.
>
> Regards,
> Wolfram.
>
> Patch for av_gen_search():

Maybe you have missed the proposed new seeking API
avformat_seek_file()

anyway, i dont think your patch does anything beyond that it would
break seeking in the few formats where it works currently
If you can explain some positive effect beyond that iam all ears
making function A behave like function B of course not a positive
effect as such.
and changing the regression test checksums should really raise a red
flag, the effect of this wil be vissible to the user as seeking will
fail

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf