[FFmpeg-devel] license violator seeking help to continue his behavior

Karl Blomster thefluff
Thu Jun 25 02:56:04 CEST 2009

Patrice Bensoussan wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2009, at 01:39, Karl Blomster wrote:
>
>> Patrice Bensoussan wrote:

>>> Can you please elaborate on how I am violating the license? I would
>>> be happy to fix any issue related to this?
>>> Patrice
>>
>> A wild guess says that since you're compiling ffmpeg with swscale,
>> libx264 and various other GPL components, the entire ffmpeg binary
>> becomes GPL licensed and hence it is a violation of the GPL to not
>> make the source code of your application available.
>>
>> As it was also noted recently, compiling ffmpeg with both GPL
>> components and faac makes the resulting binary illegal to distribute
>> in most (all? IANAL) countries where the GPL is enforceable (that is
>> most countries, and most likely including yours), but I don't know who
>> would enforce that.
>
> My application is not linked to ffmpeg. The binary of ffmpeg is
> distributed without any modification. Unless I am mistaken, this is
> allowed by the GPL licence. Regarding faac, can you please clarify what
> the issue is? faac is LGPL and hence can be distributed with ffmpeg?
> Thanks.

faac claims to be LGPL but actually isn't. A number (most?) of its source files
are actually under a really vague and non-GPL-compatible license, see
http://faac.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/faac/faac/README?revision=1.7&view=markup
The problem isn't (as far as I can determine) really with that license in itself
(as mentioned it's extremely vague and you probably need to consult a lawyer to
find out what it actually means), but rather that it isn't compatible with the
GPL and hence linking GPL code to that code automatically becomes a license
violation (but as I said, I wonder in whose interest it would be to try to stop
said violation).

Regards,
Karl Blomster