[FFmpeg-devel] license violator seeking help to continue his behavior

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Thu Jun 25 03:43:43 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Patrice
Bensoussan<patrice.bensoussan at free.fr> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2009, at 02:09, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>
>>> I see, thanks for the clarification. Will try to use the aac encoder
>>> included in ffmpeg instead
>>
>> There is no such thing. ?Yet.
>>

> hmmm... I thought there was for some reason...

You were probably thinking of FAAD, which is a decoder (ffmpeg has an
AAC decoder).

> Is there any other "true" LGPL alternative to faac?

No; the only options I know of are:

1.  Use FAAC as a separate binary.  This is probably legal since
you're not linking to GPL code, but I can't make any guarantees about
the bizarre licenses in FAAC.  It's *probably* fine though.

2.  Wait for Kostya to finish his encoder.  Might take a while.

3.  Nero's AAC encoder is freeware, but not open source.  Its license
doesn't allow redistribution though, so you'd have to have the program
download it directly from their site.

Dark Shikari