[FFmpeg-devel] release feedback

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sat Mar 14 21:51:55 CET 2009

On 14/3/09 19:20, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Diego Biurrun<diego<at>  biurrun.de>  writes:
>
>> The target audience for this release were distributions and projects or
>> companies reusing FFmpeg.  From what I have heard they received exactly
>> what they wanted.
>
> Since I believe that
> 1) the release stopped one important developer for an unacceptable long time
> from developing and others for a noticeable period, and

This could be alleviated by branching rather than freezing trunk.

> 2) the problems will start the moment people ask for fixes,

What problems? If you don't want to work to backport fixes, fine. People
interested in doing so will. If no one is interested, then we don't do it.

> I'd like to ask:
>> From their pov, what is the difference between our daily tarballs and the
> release?
>
> I think if we can remove all differences (and with the help of FATE, I believe,
> we can), then this mess can be stopped.

I'm with Baptiste on releases I think - that is, making releases based
on the status of code in trunk. I'll elaborate fully on what I perceive
this to mean in my response to Diego's mail that started this thread.

I don't consider releases to be 'mess'.

> Apart from that, I second Reimar's original comment, Carl Eugen

What was Reimar's original comment?

Regards,
Rob