[FFmpeg-devel] release feedback

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sat Mar 14 23:22:53 CET 2009

On 14/3/09 23:20, compn wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:16:32 +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
>> I understand Attila has his own daily activities to deal with, but in
>> terms of hosting support, we could really do with something with a
>> faster turnaround time for such issues. Is there anything that can be
>> looked into to address this?
>>
>> Attila, this is not a dig at you, but I expect you can understand my
>> reason for pointing this out.
>
> our current host situation is amazingly good. free bandwidth and colo
> space. good upstream uptime (cept for some dns/routing problems a
> few months back). are you suggesting a new host? and giving root to
> another person with quicker access? i could understand complaining
> about a week , but ~26 hours downtime?

I'm not suggesting a new host, no. I'm just wondering if there is anyone
who could get to the issues quicker. ~26 hours is a very good response
time for someone who has other things to do in their daily lives and
looking after the server is not their full-time job.

If most others think ~26 hours is reasonable for a random bout of
downtime, then I have nothing more to say. I'm not exactly experienced
on how long a period of downtime is considered reasonable.

> lets stop blaming what went wrong, and think up some ideas for avoiding
> or minimizing the downtime in the future.

That is the only reason I was pointing it out.

> offsite temporary developer mailing list during downtimes?
> recent uploads from /incoming/ mirror ?

I don't think incoming is so critical and I expect in the vast majority
of cases, recent uploads that completed can be recovered. The mailing
lists being online is critical in my opinion.

> i know the roundup list has been mirrored on gmane since that first
> downtime. so i'm not sure what else can be done for that.

The other lists are on gmane aren't they? Are they actually mirrored
there and synced back and forth with the lists on mphq? Do distributed
mailing lists exist? ;)

Regards,
Rob