[FFmpeg-devel] release feedback

Diego Biurrun diego
Sun Mar 15 12:46:16 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 07:20:24PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > The target audience for this release were distributions and projects or
> > companies reusing FFmpeg.  From what I have heard they received exactly
> > what they wanted.
>
> Since I believe that
> 1) the release stopped one important developer for an unacceptable long time
> from developing and others for a noticeable period, and

Who?

> 2) the problems will start the moment people ask for fixes,

What are you referring to exactly?

> I'd like to ask:
> >From their pov, what is the difference between our daily tarballs and the
> release?

The release is a tarball that has seen a bit of stabilization and an
official blessing.  If you pick a random revision from Subversion, you
might get unlucky and hit a regression.

Also, different projects or programs use different revisions and thus
they have different feature sets and bugs in their FFmpeg component.
All make different sorts of patches.

What they want is something more dependable and a possibility to share
the packaging work among them.

> Apart from that, I second Reimar's original comment, Carl Eugen

Which comment?

Somehow your reply just raises more questions.  Please be more specific.

Diego