[FFmpeg-devel] release feedback

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Mar 16 02:21:31 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:03:42AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > > From their pov, what is the difference between our daily tarballs and the
> > > release?
> >
> > The release is a tarball that has seen a bit of stabilization and an
> > official blessing.  If you pick a random revision from Subversion, you
> > might get unlucky and hit a regression.
>
> We can use FATE to make this exactly as unlikely as with a developer-picked
> revision (that we call release).
> Of course this means to put even more current manpower in the "development" of
> FATE (and a way to use FATE's knowledge for the tarball generation), but I
> believe we would clearly benefit in the long term.

Maybe we will be able to do this at some point in the future.  We can
talk when this day has arrived.  I'll gladly believe it when I see it.

> > Also, different projects or programs use different revisions and thus
> > they have different feature sets and bugs in their FFmpeg component.
> > All make different sorts of patches.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't see what this has to do with the question if/when/how we
> release - please explain.

Distros want official releases so they can share the packaging work.
If they are based on the same release, they can take security fixes
from each other and their FFmpeg-based applications will behave the
same.

> > What they want is something more dependable and a possibility to share
> > the packaging work among them.
>
> How do daily "releases" make this more difficult?

A daily release might have some regression and distro X will inevitably
pick a different daily release than distro Y.  A bug fix might not apply
to a different revision or introduce subtle unrelated issues..

Diego