[FFmpeg-devel] AAC ALS (lossless) and SLS (scalable lossless)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Mar 18 05:37:23 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 02:09:47AM +0000, Jethro Walters wrote:

> Hey guys.
>
> Was doing a little research on both AAC ALS and SLS. ALS is the official lossless format for AAC, and a completely separate codec to AAC. SLS is the extension to AAC that adds a lossless reproduction layer on top of the lossy AAC file, sort-of like WavPack's Hybrid lossy/lossless mode.
>
> Is there any plan to implement these formats in ffmpeg / libavcodec? I feel that having one or both in ffmpeg would give them more chance of moving more into the mainstream,

is there a reason why we would want them to move into the mainstream?

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin