[FFmpeg-devel] MXF D10 regression tests

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 19 19:49:12 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 06:55:53PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:09:13PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:59:25AM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > > Your missing that PAL8 currently has linesize[1] = 4
> >
> > so change linesize to 0 or add a check for PAL8
>
> Changing linesize could be considered breaking API, and the alternative

what API?
I didnt even remember that it was set to 4 nor do i know why its done or
what meaning it is supposed to have if its not 4 or 0
and iam pretty sure this is not documented anywhere

IMO (darn my left shift-h isnt working (no joke and yes notebook keyboard
i cant exchange it easily))
things that are not documented in a header cant be considered to be part
of any API.
if one would consider every little bit that is set to be part of the API
then nothing would not be part of it. there are many fields that end up
being set to some value in some circumstances ...

> would need to check for more than just PAL8, it's a (small) load of
> other formats that have linesize[1] == 4 currently.

linesize[2]==0 linesize[1]==4 but i prefer to change it to 0 if possible

> > its neither me who broke the regressions
>
> Since it just uncovered an existing bug there is not really anyone else
> to blame either though.

well last time i uncovered a unrelated bug (in the timestamping code, and
in gif and ...) i was flamed, now someone else uncovers one and again i
am the one pointed at

> > nor me who submitted the patch
>
> I protest the (hopefully not intended by you) implication that whoever
> tries to fix something suddenly becomes responsible for fixing it.

whoever wants something fixed or caused the bug, has to do the work.

I certainly dont need it fixed, and i did not cause it IMHO (yeah H works
again), yes iam the
maintainer of the buggy code but i dont have the time to fix all bugs in
code i maintain that someone might uncover, i can also make a list of
bugs in mkv & mov & aac & ac3 & vc1 & rv3/4 & rm & ...
i dont think the maintainers will be able to fix even one

> > (in case you try to implicate that i should be fixing this)
>
> Well, you are the maintainer... And I can say I do not enjoy working on
> the MPEG code, you have to spend ages just to find the code you are
> looking for (because there is a lot of it), then you have to find out what
> is the _intended_ behaviour (since it is usually not documented), then

each time you find something out you should commit a comment clarifying
things, if everyone does that the situation should improve.

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd