[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2009: FFmpeg is in

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Mar 20 08:51:52 CET 2009

Hi Luca,

Luca Barbato wrote:
> Mike Melanson wrote:
>> Aww, dang it... oh, I mean: good news, everyone!
>>
>> 'Your "FFmpeg" organization application for Google Summer of Code 2009
>> has been accepted.'
>>
>> I would like to point out that we don't have a whole lot of mentors or
>> projects signed up right now. If you have a good idea for a project,
>> please make it known on the wiki. If you are willing to mentor for it,
>> even better.
>
> I started populating the wiki with small tasks, given recent Ronald push
> would be interesting coming up with a SoC project to have ffmpeg
> rtsp/rtp layer improved till we could replace live555 for the projects
> using it (mplayer, vlc).

I very much like the idea of having a "solid" rtp/rtsp demuxer that can
arrive to replace live555. But if I look at the current rtp demuxer, I
am not sure if it must be improved or re-designed. The current RTP code
gives the idea that it has been designed with certain goals and assumptions
in mind, and over the years people added features removing and or changing
some assumptions in subtle ways. As an example, let's look at the dynamic
payload handlers... Why should a payload parser mess with the RTP timestamp?

So, I believe that a SoC project about this stuff is very interesting
(and needed), and I think the first thing to do for the student should
be to look at the current code and clean it up (or rewrite it after a
careful re-design, if needed). And this should be done after reading the
relevant RFCs, of course ;-)
Only after that the student can start adding new functionalities (but
before this, some known bugs have to be fixes - for example RTCP RR
packets...).

If you (and other developers) agree with this vision, I'll be happy to
help mentoring this project.

				Luca