[FFmpeg-devel] Interested in applying SoC @ ffmpeg

Måns Rullgård mans
Fri Mar 20 19:32:29 CET 2009

Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> writes:

>>> How much will this one take?
>> rgb48 input shouldnt be too hard if you can make sense of the swscale
>> code, parts of it are in need of a cleanup ...
> The swscale code is quite complex anyway, before considering that it is
> rather difficult to read in many places because of macros giving
> indirections. Or as M?ns put it, the code makes his eyes bleed.
> I just wanted to note that diving into this code won't be the easiest
> thing but don't give up, persevere and one should get there. As Michael
> says, submit your code early and persist with it and you'll get much
> more out of it and learn much more about our standards and how we operate.

IMO, before anyone touches libswscale again, it should be thoroughly
cleaned up.  I will NOT do this because it is riddled with x86
assembler which I don't understand, nor do I understand how it is
supposed to work.  If someone does clean it up, chances are I'll add
some ARM optimisations, but not before.

M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com