[FFmpeg-devel] full swscale relicensing to LGPL

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Mar 21 21:50:08 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 07:46:13PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 March 2009 at 19:24, Lars T?uber wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:45:40 +0100 Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > > in case of yuv2rgb_template.c iam 90% sure it will need to be rewritten,
> > > (that is minus the code i wrote in it)
> > > ive had no luck to find a working email of olie lho, who apparently is the
> > > original author and i remember faintly that people tried to find him in the
> > > past already without luck (if someone had luck in the past id assume he would
> > > have replied and said so by now)
> >
> > as noted in yuv2rgb_template.c the copyright holder is
> >
> >  * Copyright (C) 2000, Silicon Integrated System Corp
> >  *
> >  * Author: Olie Lho <ollie at sis.com.tw>
>
> Wow. That's nine years ago.
>
> > and Olie was only the author.
> > Maybe someone of you developers should try to contact SiS directly.
> > There is a website with a contact form for developers:
> > http://www.sis.com/MailContact/MailContactNew.php?CSN=5
> >
> > Good luck.
>
> Indeed. Good luck finding someone who will know what you're talking about
> and once you do, someone who knows who the copyright belongs to now, and
> once you do, someone who can decide one way or another. ;)

If they really pay 20kEuro, kostya shall get some of it and rewrite this file
iam no going to spend more time with searching the authors of
yuv2rgb_template.c
Olie Lho is the original author but there may be commits from other people
like walken on top of this and walken is very picky about licenses.
also the file was moved around in mplayer wiping out history once and
there was at least one sync with mplayer xp.
that means i would have to go over libmpeg2, mplayer, mplayer xp and possible
some other repos ...

This one simply is not worth the work, rewriting is less work, especially
considering that we cant find the main author and considering that it was
attempted in the past already to find him unsuccessfully. I dont belive
if diego failed i would have more success

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle