[FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] G722 decoder

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Mar 26 09:08:46 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 04:24:01PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> On 3/25/2009 3:11 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:57:08AM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> >> On 3/25/2009 11:46 AM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:25:04AM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> >>>> You deliberatly changed the README with authority, and I consider this
> >>>> dictatorship until everybody express his opinion.
> >>> Notice the lack of a general outcry.  Do you really think I could get
> >>> away with substantially changing the license and not reap outrage in
> >>> return?
> >> Well, this is blatantly recurrent in the FFmpeg project unfortunately.
> >>
> >> I propose to remedy to this problem (the quietness), by calling a vote
> >> on the licenses we accept as contributions.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately you insist on avoiding this, and you prefer acting as a
> >> dictator, it seems.
> > 
> > There is another explanation for the lack of public outcry: You are
> > alone in your opinion.  Reasonable people like Mans, Reimar and myself
> > have tried to convince you but failed.  Sleep over it and have another
> > look at the situation with a cool head.
> I'm very well aware that might be case, but you don't seem to be able to
> realize yourself that it might be the contrary, such self-confidence is
> frightening me. All I am asking for is people expressing their opinion.

This self-confidence stems from years of dealing with the subject and
reading through all the licenses along with their FAQs multiple times.
I've also talked to many people about the subject, they agree with me.

I on the other hand am frighten by the fact that reasonable arguments by
several different people that you know as reasonable and knowledgeable
fail to leave any impression whatsoever.  You carry on and stick to your
position without a shred of doubt.

People have already expressed their opinion, your interpretation of the
(L)GPL is not shared by them.  I can very well understand that they have
no interest in being drawn into a flamewar with you when you have
already proven that you will disregard any argument anyway.

How many opinions do you need to see expressed until you will say that
"ummm, yes, maybe I did misinterpret things"?  10?  100?

> Besides, what is also really frightening me, is that I already heard
> these words or these sentences from a real life dictator.

Realize that the people around you are not poor blinded victims in the
stranglehold of an evil dictator.  They have their opinions and are not
shy to express it.  As if FFmpeg devs had ever been shy of speaking up
and even flaming..

> However, I could comment that Reimar and you are biased by Mplayer
> "copying" FFmpeg code therefore being in first line if license can be
> LGPLv2.1 only, while it IMHO does not hurt FFmpeg itself, and still IMHO
> protects it more.

You are still blissfully ignorant of paragraph 3 of the LGPL v2.1.

Also that you claim bias, dictatorial behavior and whatnot when you run
out of arguments is not strengthening your position.


More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list