[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code participation

compn tempn
Sat Mar 28 13:43:21 CET 2009

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:20:32 +0100, Thilo Borgmann wrote:
>I'm still looking for a task, so the other two remain for consideration:
>

>no. 12: "16-bit Interplay Video Decoder"
>Sounds interesting and as there is a working 8-bit decoder, wich throws
>some errors if operating on the 16-bit demo file, there seems to be a
>good starting point. Unfortunately, the section about 16-bit opcodes is
>far from useful, if opcodes would have to be changed, this task becomes
>very difficult...
>http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Interplay_Video
>
>-> The suggestion in the wiki is to ask the development community (you!)
>about a good start-off with that problem. So I do: Anyone who can help
>on this? Anyone with more information about the 16-bit mode?
>(Already inspected the code here... sounds like altering the #define'd
>functions but how to know if it is 8-bit palette mode or 16-bit
>whatsoever mode?)

ah, this task seems poorly defined without a spec or implementation to
follow. ask mike melanson, he may be able to dig something up.

>no. 23: "CorePNG Decoder"
>Well, the descriptions sound quite easy, BUT the current svn version of
>ffmpeg (as well as my very old one) say that it "could not find codec
>parameters". Thus, I suppose there is no existing PNG1 decoder wich
>decodes RGB I-Frame video? Is there a PNG1 coded RGB I-Frame demo video?
>So this task seems to me like implementing a whole decoder on top of the
>png image decoder?
>http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/PNG1/

ffmpeg's png decoder can handle a few of the frames in the above sample
video. you can test this by adding the codec_id_png to PNG1 in
libavformat/riff.c
(or by playing the above sample with mplayer)

the corepng codec has source code. from there you can read how to
decode such frames.
http://www.jory.info/serendipity/archives/28-CorePNG-v0.8.2.html

please feel free to ask any questions , we like students that can keep
good communication :)

-compn