[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code participation

compn tempn
Sat Mar 28 13:43:21 CET 2009

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:20:32 +0100, Thilo Borgmann wrote:
>I'm still looking for a task, so the other two remain for consideration:
>no. 12: "16-bit Interplay Video Decoder"
>Sounds interesting and as there is a working 8-bit decoder, wich throws
>some errors if operating on the 16-bit demo file, there seems to be a
>good starting point. Unfortunately, the section about 16-bit opcodes is
>far from useful, if opcodes would have to be changed, this task becomes
>very difficult...
>-> The suggestion in the wiki is to ask the development community (you!)
>about a good start-off with that problem. So I do: Anyone who can help
>on this? Anyone with more information about the 16-bit mode?
>(Already inspected the code here... sounds like altering the #define'd
>functions but how to know if it is 8-bit palette mode or 16-bit
>whatsoever mode?)

ah, this task seems poorly defined without a spec or implementation to
follow. ask mike melanson, he may be able to dig something up.

>no. 23: "CorePNG Decoder"
>Well, the descriptions sound quite easy, BUT the current svn version of
>ffmpeg (as well as my very old one) say that it "could not find codec
>parameters". Thus, I suppose there is no existing PNG1 decoder wich
>decodes RGB I-Frame video? Is there a PNG1 coded RGB I-Frame demo video?
>So this task seems to me like implementing a whole decoder on top of the
>png image decoder?

ffmpeg's png decoder can handle a few of the frames in the above sample
video. you can test this by adding the codec_id_png to PNG1 in
(or by playing the above sample with mplayer)

the corepng codec has source code. from there you can read how to
decode such frames.

please feel free to ask any questions , we like students that can keep
good communication :)