[FFmpeg-devel] Help with H.264 inter prediction code please

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Tue May 5 15:22:48 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Kevin Wu Won <exclipy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
>> ffmpeg does not have a native H.264 encoder. ?Perhaps you're looking for x264?
>
> Sorry, I might a bit confused about the relationship between
> libavcodec and x264. ?I'm looking in the code base for libavcodec and
> I see files like h264enc.c and mpegvideo_enc.c which do seem to
> contain encoders for various formats, including H.264, down to the
> macroblock/motion vector level at least.

mpegvideo_enc.c is for MPEG-1/2/4, not H.264.

h264enc.c contains functions potentially useful for a future
libavcodec H.264 encoder.

There is no encoder currently.

> I've tried looking at the x264 code before coming here but found it
> horribly unreadable.

If you can't understand x264's code I don't understand how you can
even hope to read ffmpeg's.

But good thing you don't need to understand the code to use it; x264's
external API should be sufficient for what you're looking to do.

>> This is also the wrong mailing list, even for an ffmpeg question.
>
> Hmm.. can you point me to the right one? ?I don't want to just use
> ffmpeg, I want to hack at its code.

ffmpeg doesn't have the code you're looking for.  x264-devel is the
mailing list you're looking for.  You could also drop by #x264dev or
#x264 on Freenode.

Dark Shikari