[FFmpeg-devel] Uncompressed pixel format handling clarifications

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sun May 10 22:34:30 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

I'm quite confused regarding pixel format handling with uncompressed
video currently.

Quicktime supports almost every variant, be/le 565, 555, argb, rgba, bgra.

I'd like to understand which pixfmt can be invoked from commandline.
For example, on le arch I can request rgb565le, but not rgb565be,
however both can be stored in .mov.

When decompressing (rawdec.c) which pix_fmt should be used ? Considering
avpicture_layout (memcpy then) is used, LE/BE ones or NE one ?

When muxing ? LE/BE ones ?

Thanks for the clarification.