[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Tue May 19 19:51:29 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 07:38:50PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
> libamr?  I'm in favor of removing support for it.  It's nonfree and it's
> crap and we have a free replacement.
>
> There is a catch: libamr supports AMR-WB encoding, OpenCORE does not.
> IMO we can disregard this.  Hopefully it will spur the development of a
> native replacement.  I do not plan to remove libamr support from the 0.5
> branch, so it will always be available there.
>
> Thoughts?  Votes?

AMR-NB decoding: we should have that after this GSoC
AMR-NB encoding: the same but less likely
AMR-WB decoding: IIRC Vladimir has sent patches for supporting it and ACELP
AMR-WB encoding: uhm, somebody should write that

So, after this summer we may not need external library to do that task
at all. As for removing libamr - it's nonfree and should be removed.