[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Alex Converse alex.converse
Tue May 19 21:10:03 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Martin Storsj? <martin at martin.st> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009, Alex Converse wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>> > Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
>> > libamr? ?I'm in favor of removing support for it. ?It's nonfree and it's
>> > crap and we have a free replacement.
>> >

>> Is opencore AMR really free? A lot of the files admit that they are
>> derived from the reference source. I suppose it's not as egregious as
>> the opencore AAC decoder where packet video just slaps their copyright
>> notice right above Dolby's.
>
> IANAL, but at least the opencore/NOTICE file says this:

> Portions of this file are derived from the following 3GPP standard:
>
> ? ?3GPP TS 26.073
> ? ?ANSI-C code for the Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) speech codec
> ? ?Available from http://www.3gpp.org
>
> (C) 2004, 3GPP Organizational Partners (ARIB, ATIS, CCSA, ETSI, TTA, TTC)
> Permission to distribute, modify and use this file under the standard
> license
> terms listed above has been obtained from the copyright holder.
>
> (And a similar one for AMR-WB.)
>
> So as far as I can tell, PacketVideo has the right to license these files
> under the apache license.
>
> // Martin

Looks ok then. Their AAC stuff is scarier because it lacks the
"Permission to distribute, modify and use this file under the standard
license terms listed above has been obtained from the copyright holder" bit.