[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed May 20 11:55:02 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:01:48AM +0200, Benoit Fouet wrote:

> On 05/19/2009 07:38 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
> > libamr?  I'm in favor of removing support for it.  It's nonfree and it's
> > crap and we have a free replacement.
> >
> > There is a catch: libamr supports AMR-WB encoding, OpenCORE does not.
> > IMO we can disregard this.  Hopefully it will spur the development of a
> > native replacement.  I do not plan to remove libamr support from the 0.5
> > branch, so it will always be available there.
>
> or we can only keep the support of the WB encoder, depending on non-free
> flag ?

You don't think keeping it in the 0.5 branch will be enough?  I think
removing non-free components from FFmpeg should be a high-priority goal
and this is the last one, barring the libfaac disaster...

> I'm not sure that the people who need WB encoder are the one who are
> going to write a free WB encoder anyway :)

Who is going to write it or fund writing it then?  If it is cheap, good
enough and available, nobody might be motivated.  Look at how long we
have had to put up with libfaad and Adobe Flash...

Diego