[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Wed May 20 13:01:57 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:38:56AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 08:51:29PM +0300, Kostya wrote:
> > On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 07:38:50PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
> > > libamr?  I'm in favor of removing support for it.  It's nonfree and it's
> > > crap and we have a free replacement.
> > >
> > > There is a catch: libamr supports AMR-WB encoding, OpenCORE does not.
> > > IMO we can disregard this.  Hopefully it will spur the development of a
> > > native replacement.  I do not plan to remove libamr support from the 0.5
> > > branch, so it will always be available there.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?  Votes?
> >
> > AMR-NB decoding: we should have that after this GSoC
> > AMR-NB encoding: the same but less likely
>
> You can always hope, but these days I believe in it when I see commits
> to FFmpeg's trunk ;)

Sometimes I work on another wrapper (libfaac) removal. But since commits
go to soc repository instead you won't believe in that too.

> > AMR-WB decoding: IIRC Vladimir has sent patches for supporting it and ACELP
>
> Is AMR-WB G.729?  I thought the patches from Vladimir were just for
> G.729 and ACELP.NET

I think there was something for G.722 which is the base for both
AMR-WB and Cook.

> > AMR-WB encoding: uhm, somebody should write that
>
> Yes...

Make 2010 year of Speech codecs in FFmpeg ;)