[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Fixing libx264.c

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Fri May 22 04:08:24 CEST 2009

Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> I am sick of complaints of crappy quality, crappy streams, and general
> brokenness from the ffmpeg libx264 encoder.  This gets worse with
> ffserver, which doesn't pass all of the x264-appropriate options, so
> you can't even fix the options even if you know every single one of
> them. Per-codec defaults would solve the problem, but hardly anyone
> seems to want to back Baptiste in promoting this.  I could also cause
> ffmpeg to terminate if libx264 is selected as vcodec without an
> appropriate preset, but that would be obnoxious and would break
> ffserver.
>
> I could also modify x264 itself to insta-terminate if it detects
> ffmpeg-level broken options, which may result in enough complaints
> that it gets fixed.  But that would be even more obnoxious.
>
> I am all-ears for other ideas--but here's my list of problems and
> proposed solutions.  I have patches for these already, but there's no
> point in posting them until something is agreed upon, as they are
> trivial.  I do maintain libx264.c, but this needs discussion before I
> unilaterally modify tons of stuff.
>
> Comments?

Per codec defaults is the solution, libavcodec as always tried as much
as it could to offer the possibility to modify all parameters.
Removing parameters means reactivating them later if one user complain.
This is going backward IMHO.

Also I'd like the defaut stream encoded to be decodable by quicktime.