[FFmpeg-devel] MOV Muxer fix to respect the standard

François Revol revol
Fri May 22 13:52:25 CEST 2009

> Hi guys,
>     I recently found when I generated a mp4 file that this file
> doesn't
> totally respect the standard(ISO media file format 14496-12) in
> particulary for the box 'hdlr'. The handler description(named in the
> standard as 'name') must be a NULL-terminated string in UTF8 while in
> the generated file I saw that the string is not NULL-terminated and
> it
> is preceded by its size while it is not specifies by the standard.
>     If you confirm that, I have joined within this mail a patch that
> you
> can apply.

>From what I recall, in many places MOV does use PASCAL strings (length
+ non \0), while MP4 changed this to be C strings (\0 terminated),
which is about the only significant difference (sometimes I wondered if
it's not just to crash MOV parsers).

I don't have time, but you'll definitely want to check both QT and MP4
specs for this.

Christine is watching you: