[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] decoder/encoder naming consistency

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri May 22 16:59:54 CEST 2009

I propose renaming files to to adhere to the following naming
convention:

foodec.c - decoder for format foo
fooenc.c - encoder for format foo
foo.c    - common code used by both decoder and encoder

Currently we have some cases where the encoder is in fooenc. while the
decoder is in foo.c, for example zmbv.c and zmbvenc.c.

This should be made consistent.  The cases where we just have a decoder
are secondary, they can remain as foo.c, but when both are available, we
should try to avoid the confusion.

The same applies to demuxers and muxers.

OK to rename?

Diego