[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Request for pixdesc API review

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Nov 9 23:07:35 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 10:40:23PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Monday 2009-11-09 12:05:15 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje encoded:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Stefano Sabatini
> > <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> > > we recently got completed all the definitions for the pixel format
> > > descriptors in libavutil/pixdesc.{h,c}.
> >
> > Seems pretty sane on a first glance. What exactly are you looking for
> > in our comments?
>
> If it is clear, if it is expressive enough to do what we currently do
> with PixFmtInfo (that's already true) and possibly more, for example I
> would like to avoid all that switch (pix_fmt) case PIX_FMT_FOO stuff,
> if it can be managed more generically.
>

> For example adding a pixel format shouldn't require to edit all the
> functions dealing with pixel format stuff, it should be sufficient to
> hook up the description to the pixel format descriptions array.

yes but there always will be obscure formats the generic code cant
handle, its also not its goal. Goal is to handle the normal 98%.
Some things that shuffle bits around in ways that need several pages to
explain (hello apple) is not something that i care about, such things
can better be considered very poorly designed codec bitsterams rather
than pixel formats.

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato