[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] use MANGLE in some case for h264dsp_mmx.c

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Nov 22 13:35:23 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 01:57:18PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 12:17 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > not be fully pic anyway, but I guess the idea is to get as close to PIC
> > as possible without a huge maintenance effort or huge speed loss.
>
> Does anyone really benefit from that?

The Gentoo users that mindlessly put -fPIC in cflags and stuff like
that.
Though you could also argue that they'd benefit more from learning to know
what they do before doing it.
It might also save a bit of RAM with lots of FFmpeg libs being loaded at
the same time, though I guess that depends on luck and/or how bright the
linker is.