[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Oct 29 14:52:07 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 02:30:23PM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 09:17 -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > That leaves patent trolls looking for easy cash. I'd say: bring them
> > bastards on! The SFLC can offer legal assistance here.
>
> But it could easily own the domains, trademarks, the server equipment,
> etc which could be threatened later on.

Trademarks I can't imagine how they could be used against anything via a court.
Domains, while maybe not perfect could still be owned by whoever owns them
now, I don't see that as a big issue at least not in the medium term.
Covering the costs for keeping the domain could easily be covered by the
foundation regardless.
About server equipment I tend to say it's a good idea to keep them in
Switzerland and under swiss jurisdiction, even though I can't imagine
we will try to found a non-profit or whatever there any time soon.
It shouldn't be such a big issue to have a "backup" server and possibly
domain belonging to the foundation if we get sufficient funds in
case we are concerned of e.g. "critical" people disappearing.