[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] unix socket protocol and our proto situation

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Wed Dec 15 01:31:25 CET 2010

On 12/14/2010 10:50 PM, JULIAN GARDNER wrote:

> Ok but can you explain why ffmpeg is so bad when other programs receiving UDP data
> dont seem to have a problem, the machine is a core i7 950 and from my work on other
> bits of software i dont lose UDP data, but ffmpeg seems to have a problem.

FFmpeg is driven by the decoding loop, so either your system buffer the
network packet for you or you'll read them longer past their arrival
depending on what ffmpeg is doing (e.g. it got enough data to decode
while probing so it won't check for it for a while).

> Now with my circular buffer i dont seem to lose any data from the UDP but
> ffmpeg still fails on decoding, which is mpeg2, and this causes a few problems

Are you 100% sure it is working as should? try to write a small program
that fetches from udp and feeds to a file and then inspect the resulting
dump and then feed it to ffmpeg from a pipe

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux