[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg 0.5 and imgconvert.h

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Feb 3 09:08:38 CET 2010

On date Wednesday 2010-02-03 07:29:03 +0100, Reinhard Tartler encoded:
> On Mi, Feb 03, 2010 at 00:14:39 (CET), Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I see no imgconvert.h header installed in FFmpeg 0.5, also
> > reported here:
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/25100
> >
> > but what's even stranger, there is no mention of such an header in the
> > svn log, so I concluded that it was never public.
> >
> > Is this a bug, so should we add it between the public headers, or am I
> > missing something?
>
> IIRC it was obsoleted by libswscale. ffmpeg 0.5 contained a non public
> img_convert.h header with these functions:
>
> ,----
> | int ff_fill_linesize(AVPicture *picture, int pix_fmt, int width);
> |
> | int ff_fill_pointer(AVPicture *picture, uint8_t *ptr, int pix_fmt, int height);
> |
> | int ff_get_plane_bytewidth(enum PixelFormat pix_fmt, int width, int plane);
> |
> | int ff_set_systematic_pal(uint32_t pal[256], enum PixelFormat pix_fmt);
> |
> | int img_convert(AVPicture *dst, int dst_pix_fmt, const AVPicture *src,
> |                 int src_pix_fmt, int src_width, int src_height);
> `----
>
> since img_convert.h has ff_ prefixed and therefore non public functions,
> this header must not be installed.
>
> in trunk, only the 'ff_' prefixed are available. In fact, it was you who
> did this change:

> r18080 | stefano | 2009-03-20 23:29:31 +0100 | 2 lines
>
> Remove declaration of the removed function img_convert().
>

> In theory, this API could be added to a public header like avcodec.h for
> 0.5. However, as trunk doesn't support it either, this might encourage
> users to use deprecated functions.

I did that *after* the release, but I believe the OP of the
abovementioned thread had problems with compiling a program which used
the img_convert API, so the problem may occurr when trying to compile
a program using the old img_convert API, but since that was never
public then I can't see how such a program can even exist.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Faithful and Frenzy Multimedia Portable Evil Gadget