[FFmpeg-devel] fix for issue 1676 - file.c doesn't understand file URLs

Laurent Aimar fenrir
Fri Feb 5 14:30:42 CET 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010, Tomas H?rdin wrote:
> I can  shed some light on this. I read up on this a while back and found
> the RFC in which the URI syntax is defined. In fact, the RFC is here:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
>
> The short answer is that you shouldn't use any extra slashes at all.
> That example URI is NOT well-formed.
 From rfc3986 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.1), you have
the following extract:
  "If the URI scheme defines a default for host, then that default
   applies when the host subcomponent is undefined or when the
   registered name is empty (zero length).  For example, the "file" URI
   scheme is defined so that no authority, an empty host, and
   "localhost" all mean the end-user's machine, whereas the "http"
   scheme considers a missing authority or empty host invalid."

 Which IMHO, make file://host/path a valid syntax weither or not host is
empty.

Regards,

--
fenrir