[FFmpeg-devel] rtp streaming x264+audio issues (and some ideas to fix them)

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue Feb 9 14:54:13 CET 2010

Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Feb 9, 2010, at 8:14 AM, Luca Abeni <lucabe72 at email.it> wrote:
>> If you want to avoid large buffering in the client, the buffering
>> must be in the streamer. This can be done at muxer level, by using
>> something like Martin's RTSP muxer (it does not implement buffering
>> right now, but this feature can be implemented later), or at
>> application level (by using avstreamer instead of ffmpeg).
>
> Doesn't lavf do that for you when using av_write_frame_interleaved()?

When all the streams belong to the same muxer, I think you are right...
So, yes, the RTSP muxer will probably not need any additional buffering.

But if an RTP muxer per stream is used (without an RTSP muxer), then
I think the application is in charge of buffering.

			Luca