[FFmpeg-devel] MJPEG other RTP and av_find_stream_info() problem

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 22 11:22:39 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 05:32:43PM +0100, Kevin Baradon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've implemented playing of MJPEG other RTP (RTSP) streams in ffmpeg (patch
> will be submitted when stable), but I'm facing a problem.
>
> In my test program, I first open stream using av_open_input_file(), and
> then call av_find_stream_info() to retrieve stream information. But the
> latter blocks for at least 45 seconds before showing message :
>     [rtsp @ 8317920]MAX_READ_SIZE:5000000 reached
>
> After that, test program correctly decodes and shows stream.
>
> As a workaround, I set
>     AVFormatContext::probesize = 1;
> before calling av_find_stream_info(). But I wonder if this is the right
> thing to do.

you should figure out what in av_find_stream_info() is missing so it continues
to search for it.

> MJPEG RTP demuxer currently sets the following parameters extracted from
> headers :
> - AVStream::codec->width
> - AVStream::codec->height
> - AVStream::codec->pix_fmt
> MJPEG other RTP don't carry frame rate information in headers. If this
> information is needed, I can compute it using RTP packet timestamps (I
> tried to fill AVStream::r_frame_rate with correct value without success).

if you know it fill r_frame_rate & avg_frame_rate

> Is there any other fields in AVStream structure to fill to avoid
> av_find_stream_info() parsing stream to guess its parameters ?

read teh fine code of av_find_stream_info(), placing av_log() liberally
in there to see where it is stuck ...

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact