[FFmpeg-devel] Fix libx264

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Wed Feb 24 00:00:38 CET 2010

2010/2/23 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> writes:
>
>> Le quintidi 5 vent?se, an CCXVIII, M?ns Rullg?rd a ?crit?:
>>> The .pc files do not change if I choose a different compiler.
>>
>> You just wrote it: the compiler is part of the build environment. If you
>> decide to use another compiler, then you are actually using a different
>> build environment. You can not expect that mixing parts of two different
>> build environments (the compiler from one, the .pc file from another) will
>> work.
>
> What lunacy is that? ?ABI-compatible compilers (and most are) should
> be freely interchangeable. ?A library built by one compiler should be
> usable by apps/libs built using another. ?That's the entire purpose of
> having a standard ABI in the first place.

Make up your mind. Either:

a) a compiler is part of the build environment

Since pkg-config is supposed to work on only on one build environment
there can't be compatibility problems.

b) a compiler is not part of the build environment (more than one
compiler can use the same build environment)

In this case pkg-config would work only if the different compilers can
use the same -lfoo flags.

IMO b) is the case.

--
Felipe Contreras