[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] insufficient VFP check?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Jan 17 13:12:16 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:53:15AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:

> >> Mystery solved: running gcc with -v reveals the assembler invocation
> >> to be this:
> >>
> >> /usr/libexec/gcc/arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/as --gdwarf2 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=softvfp -meabi=4 -o libavcodec/arm/dsputil_vfp.o /tmp/ccsHJvmR.s
> >>
> >> The -mfpu=softvfp there means all manner of FP is out of the question.
> >>
> >> Oddly enough, non-softfloat compilers will happily compile to
> >> softfloat if only given the -msoft-float flag.
> >
> > Well, in my previous try with non-softfloat toolchain it couldn't
> > compile since it could not find -lfloat (which it wanted to use even
> > with -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon).
>
> Never seen anything like that.  Where do you get your compilers?
> Perhaps you should consider another vendor.

I simply compiled for a target like arm-unknown-linux or so.
That whole --target stuff is just a huge mess, about 90% of combinations
result in a gcc/binutils combination that doesn't actually produce
anything working but without any clear hint.
Yes, I understand it's my fault for actually expecting compiling yourself
not to need special secret magic, I guess I am quite spoilt in that regard
due to MPlayer/FFmpeg and some other projects.